ISTQB Advanced Test Automation Engineer
This follows on from the ISTQB Foundation level.
It is aimed at those experienced in software testing, with a need to know more about test automation.
Exam fee - US $250 - read more below.
Certified Advanced Test Automation Engineers should be able to demonstrate their skills in the following areas:
- Explain the objectives, advantages, disadvantages, and limitations of test automation.
- Identify technical success factors of a test automation project.
- Analyze a system under test to determine the appropriate automation solution.
- Analyze test automation tools for a given project and report technical findings and recommendations.
- Understand "design for testability" and "design for test automation" methods applicable to the SUT.
- Explain the structure of the Generic Test Automation Architecture.
- Analyze factors of implementation, use, and maintenance requirements for a given Test Automation Solution.
- Explain the factors to be considered when identifying reusability of components.
- Apply guidelines that support effective test tool pilot and deployment activities.
- Analyze deployment risks and identify technical issues that could lead to failure of the test automation project, and plan mitigation strategies.
- Understand which factors support and affect maintainability.
- Classify metrics that can be used to monitor the test automation strategy and effectiveness.
- Explain how a test execution report is constructed and published.
- Apply criteria for determining the suitability of tests for automation.
- Understand the factors in transitioning from manual to automation testing.
- Explain the factors to consider in implementing automated regression testing, new feature testing, and confirmation testing.
- Verify the correctness of an automated test environment including test tool setup.
- Verify the correct behaviour for a given automated test script and/or test suite.
- Analyze the technical aspects of a deployed test automation solution and provide recommendations for improvement.
Exam Preparation Options
You can prepare for the exam via self-study or through an accredited training provider.
The former has the obvious benefit of potentially being more cost-effective in monetary terms.
The latter however can be a more efficient use of your time, with courses typically being 3 days long, taught by trainers knowledgeable in both the content and exam styles.
Click on the links below for more.